Strange Charmed Life Reaction and bad language

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Sat Apr 7 13:48:46 EDT 2001

"cuss words" is a new term to me.
I never thought that the b-words were really bad, although I'd avoid using
them to e.g. teachers at my son's school, old ladies, strangers and
boyfriend's parents. However, in an effort to swear less (I'm getting older
and feel I ought to set a good example to my progeny) I have substituted
b...! (the Sodom and Gomorrah variety) for f..! when I have, say, dropped
something heavy on my foot.
As to dwj and Charmed Life, it would never have occurred to me that a rude
word was being used. Someone said twee-ness was the intention and I'd be
inclined to agree.
The reverse thing is true, though. We go to the lavatory/loo (posh) or the
toilet (not posh), or just the bog (I read somewhere it's acceptable in the
circles where toilet is not). You Transatlanteans go to the bathroom. We go
to the bathroom to have a bath. Someone American said to me once that toilet
was quite vulgar, and anyway it meant the actual throne, not the room
wherein it resides.
Ania