Time of the Ghost, Spoilers, Questions on the Ending

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Apr 6 20:37:46 EDT 2001

	Hmm. . . I'm really going to need to ask you two about this, now.  But
to my mind:
1) Fenella could easily have made it up - but I have the feeling she
wouldn't have told anyone if she had.  If Fenella had made it up, I doubt
anyone would have ever heard about it.
2) Imo's the one you suggest, Melissa.  But I just don't see it.  It seems
to me to be far too. . . I don't know.  I realize that the worship of
Monigan wasn't gruesome until Julian made it that way, so that's not a
problem, but I just don't feel that Imo's mind works that way.  Imo
certainly has a good imagination - but, from experience, I know that
making up an imaginary religion takes a certain amount and kind of
discipline which I don't really think she is suggested to have in the
book - she does get frustrated fairly easily.
3) Surely no one would argue it was Sally - I don't even think I'm going
to dignify this suggestion by arguing against it ;-).
4) And I can very easily see Cart as doing it.  Maybe this is because I
tend to imagine Cart as making things up in much the same way I do.  Part
of it is inspiration - and I think we get Cart having inspiration
throughout the book.  But the other part is actually having the mind
needed to organize that inspiration, and I certainly think that Cart is
the most likely of the four sisters to have both of these
qualities.  Fenella and Imo both do well on the inspiration, especially
Fenella. I could certainly see Sally as organizing it.  But Cart seems
capable to do both - and sufficiently interested in organizing the family
into following her, which I would say Fenella at least isn't.
	Of course, Kyla, you have my copy of the book - so this is all
from memory - I could be completely forgetting something obvious here ;-).

						---Kyra

"Crucification was Rome's way of punishing criminals - the only reason
it's so glorified in religion is because they happened to do it to
Christ.  If they'd hung him up on a meat hook instead, then meat hooks
would be. . ."

		---Amber Michelle Kitch, Mother of All Humanity