Time of the Ghost, Spoilers, Questions on the Ending

Fri Apr 6 18:07:37 EDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:17:40 -0400 (EDT), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>My opinion, though, formed when I read that DWJ had two sisters, not
>three, was that Cart and Sally, as the oldest two, were *both* DWJ.
and
>Perhaps that's why Sally's the ghost--we see a trio of sisters, all very
>real, and the fourth, that we're told about, is mostly with the others as
>an observer. And that works better, because I know that I've occasionally
>mentally stepped back and watched myself, or tried to imagine watching
>myself.

This is such an interesting insight!

> I also think, though, that Sally is the most fuzzily drawn of the
>characters--not the ghost, who is most of Sally's stage time, or whatever
>you want to call it--the ghost has a very clear personality. But after
>Sally, Cart seems the most unclear to me--more a collection of
>attributes.

That's how the ghost sees Cart too, isn't it?  Or, rather, that she's sort
of blurry, almost a force of nature rather than a person sometimes (like in
the mornings).

I thought young Sally was very fuzzy too, and maybe that should have been a
clue as to who the ghost really was of the four sisters.  Imo, Cart and
Fenella are all very likeable even when they're rotten--they're just like
real people.  Sally seems more like a description of a person...that's not
right either.  More like the ghost, through whose perception we see
everything, doesn't get inside Sally's head the way she does the others.
Great, now *I'm* babbling.

>It always seemed a bit surprising to me that Cart was the one
>who made up the worship of Monigan. It doesn't seem quite right.

Yes, it really seems as though it should have been Isobel or someone else,
doesn't it?  But on the other hand, I can imagine Cart having "grown up" a
little since the time she invented it, so when we meet her finally she's not
the same person who invented it.  Like Polly's friend Nina, taking up new
interests and dropping them, but in a more normal and less shallow
way...just the consequences of growing older.  Nina makes a religion out of
it, practically.  But this is just off the top of my head, so I have no idea
if it makes any sense.

I should be doing other things right now, like laundry.  But this is so much
more fun than laundry.

Melissa Proffitt