Kim Newman (was: Urban fantasy(was Charles DeLint (OT)))

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 6 07:21:15 EDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> Hang on a minute.  I mean, I've heard of Gaiman, even if I have
> never encountered any of his work.  But who the _heck_ is Kim
> Newman?

One of Neil Gaiman's friends. :)

Back before they were famous, they collaborated on a book called
_Ghastly Beyond Belief_, which poked fun at the cliches and dodgy
moments of the sci-fi genre.

Since then, Kim Newman has become a well-regarded writer of dark
fantasy. One of his best-known novels is _Anno Dracula_, in which
Dracula survived the events of Bram Stoker's novel and has ended up
ruling England. _Dracula Cha-Cha-Cha_ is one of the sequels.

Apart from dark fantasy, Kim Newman's other thing is classic films.
He's written non-fiction on the subject, and one of his novels,
_The Night Mayor_, is set in a virtual reality based on old film noir.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."