STRANGE Charmed Life Reaction

Thu Apr 5 18:54:55 EDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:02:45 -0400 (EDT), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>I just wanna see if anyone else finds this as strange as I do--I think I
>may have gotten a rather strange reaction to Charmed Life from a friend of
>mine the other day.
>
>Okay, so here's my strange story.  Like many of you, I pushed a friend to
>read CL.  She finished it--rather quickly, especially for her--and I asked
>her what she thought.  Her reply is going to be after a long bit of
>space--please don't read if you're underage.

>not being too explicit here or anything, but don't wanna tick anybody off.
>
>The first thing my friend said to me was "Was that one phrase towards the
>end meant to be a sexual entrende?"  I nearly fell over--I've never really
>thought about anything in connection with CL as being hugely
>sex-themed.  So she flipped it open to the scene near the end in the
>garden, where Cat is tied up and the assorted bad witches and warlocks are
>hunting for Fiddle, and one witch calls out. . . . and I freaked.  I told
>her I couldn't believe she'd read that into it, and she told me that she
>couldn't believe I never had.  So I'm just a little unsettled by the whole
>thing. . . anybody else?

Since I had no idea what you were talking about, I went and looked it up.
Sounds like your friend's reading experience is limited in this area.
Contextually it makes no sense to read the sexual innuendo into it;
historically it's a perfectly acceptable word.

A long time ago I was briefly on a Robert Jordan discussion group where
something like this happened.  One of the books has a scene where the Aiel
wise women are criticizing one of the main characters for not giving up her
warrior lifestyle and becoming a wise woman as is her destiny.  And one of
them says to her something like "those hips of yours were made for babes."
The lone dissenting voice in the ensuing discussion about lesbianism in
Robert Jordan could only suggest that it was a TYPO.  That it was supposed
to be "babies."  Gaaaack.

Babe in arms.

Babes in the woods.

Gaaaack.