stammering

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 16:19:14 EDT 2001

In a message dated 4/4/2001 3:27:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Nat Case writes:

> I have a speech impediment that can get pretty bad.

It can't be THAT bad, or I wouldn't have forgotten it. Now that I think about
it, I can remember you stammering a *bit* on occasion, but reading this
thread, I certainly never said, "oh, yes, just like Nat." I *did* think it
sounded just like one of my old German teachers, Lindsay Heather, who managed
to live with his very severe stammer by making it completely charming -- I
never got tired of listening to him, even when he was speaking German and
eating his lunch at the same time. He was also a fine baritone, and sang
professionally (still does, as far as I know).

He's also the person who introduced my husband and me -- well, Nat's heard
this story, but the rest of you haven't. I was at a concert of the amateur
choir Lindsay Heather used to conduct, and at the interval he came down the
aisle to speak to me and said, "Helen, one of my ssssssingers would like to
be int-int-int-introduced to you. Mmmmmay I do that?" I said um, uh, glub,
bug, uh, Sure. And spent the rest of the concert staring at the singers
wondering WHO IT WAS. Got it narrowed down to the tall dark guy and the short
blond guy, and said to myself, Ooh, I hope it's the tall dark guy. It was :)

Helen Schinske