Urban fantasy(was Charles DeLint (OT))

Thu Apr 5 15:21:07 EDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:24:29 +0800 , Anita Graham wrote:

><Lots of discussion about exactly what is and isn't Urban Fantasy>
>
>Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm is
>War for the Oaks by Emma Bull is
>
>THe only DWJ I can think of that *might* be urban fantasy (and I'm not
>really wracking my brains here) is Wilkins' Tooth.
>
>To me there must be some sort of gritty/grainy/dark and dusty city aspect,
>as well as the fantasy side.

This is, to the best of my knowledge, the "official" definition of "urban
fantasy."  But I also can't remember where I learned that definition.  The
people who are mainly writing urban fantasy according to this definition are
all coming out of the same writing group, so maybe they're the ones who
started it.

Much as I like the discussion of what each of us means by a particular term,
I would give a lot for an official lexicon of fantasy literature terms.  It
would make my life easier.  :)

Melissa Proffitt
(still writing too much email)