taking care of books, chocolate, Eight Days of Luke

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Thu Apr 5 13:07:48 EDT 2001

Melissa wrote:
...and speaking of spending money on books, I was APPALLED to hear how
many
of you mistreat books and are PROUD of it.  Heathens.  :)  I hate the way
mangled books look on a shelf; nice clean spines all in a row, like
rectangular jewels, that's what I like to see.  Not necessarily mint
condition--they're meant to be read--but there's no need to break spines,
is
there?  And Thomas Lynn is on my side too, so there.  Besides, I hate
spending good money to replace a book that's been read to pieces, when I
could be buying something I've never read before.

Jacob wrote:
>I was so proud to look at a book I just finished and realize you could
only
>barely tell it had been read at all (only because the front cover rises
>slightly).  I've trained myself to be a gentle reader.  And I'm proud of
>that.  I want my books to last.  Good thing we're married, isn't it?
Melissa wrote:
Well, *I* certainly think so...otherwise I wouldn't be able to let you
touch
the books.  And if all y'all could see the condition the rest of his
family
leaves books in, you'd be truly amazed at this confession.  He had a lot
of
upbringing to overcome.  :)

This exchange reminds me of a book I just finished called _Ex libris_ by
Anne Fadiman, a collection of essays about books and reading.  One of the
essays talked about "carnal" lovers of books (the ones who "mistreat"
their books) and "spiritual" lovers of books (the ones who read them with
kid gloves).  I generally buy cheap paperbacks to read and "mistreat" as I
want and have hardcover copies of books that I love that look as though
they've never been read.  Another great essay in the book was about "the
marriage " of libraries; Fadiman talks about how she and her husband
"married" their huge libraries together after thei wedding.  It's a nice
short book full of interesting thoughts about book and the people who love
them.  I recommend it.

Just to chime in on the chocolate thread, I am a fan of chocolate of
*every*
nationality. :)  I like Hershey, but the Rittersport I had in Germany last
summer was really good.  I bought about 20 bars to bring home as gifts.

And for a little DWJ:  I found a brand new, non ex library hardcover copy
of _Eight Days of Luke_ at a public library sale today.  Cost me $1.00  I
also got a looks-unread hardcover of Bujold's _A Civil Campaign_ also for
$1.00.  Do you ever wonder sometimes why people get rid of the books they
do?  I think you can tell a lot about some people from their libraries.  I
read somewhere (in a mystery novel perhaps) about how police were going to
check a suspect's library record to see what books he'd checked out and
create a psychological profile.  Interesting.  I wonder what kind of
profile they'd come up with for me?

Laurie