was Charles DeLint (OT)) Oaks?

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Thu Apr 5 09:49:10 EDT 2001

>Paul Andinach wrote:
>
>>  On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Sarah Imholt wrote:
>>
>>  > My favorite urban fantasy is Emma Bull's WAR FOR THE OAKS, which is
>>  > actually being reprinted v. soon.
>>
>>  Could you, perhaps, explain what the oaks have to do with anything?
>
>From what I recall, and I have only read it once at my old home library, so
>someone please correct me if I'm wrong, there's a battle involving the Queen
>of Fairy/Faery and a group of others for a park-type area, hence the Oaks.
>Whew--I think I've been reading too much Robin McKinley myself...
>
>I really need to read it again!  Amazon says a new printing is coming out in
>July.  I think it has been out of print for some time--the last date I can
>find is 1987.
>
>Sarah

I haven't reread it in a while, but I do live in Minneapolis. The two
big confrontations are I think in Prospect Hill Park and in Como Park
in St Paul. Both have prominent oak groves, and I think oaks as
sacred trees figure prominently. I agree it doesn't really describe
the book. War for the Cities might be better.

The oaks in question are mostly burr oaks, which are striking trees
usually sited at the edge of the prairie --groves of them in savannah
settings are called "oak openings". You may recall the Hill of Three
Oaks in Tam Lin, which is still there and is the "sacred grove" of
the Carleton Druids. Burr oaks are right up there among the things I
like best about Minnesota. They are slow growing trees, so the really
big ones are likely to be pre-European (150-plus years old)

Nat