Jane Eyre

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Thu Apr 5 08:09:37 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca>
Subject: OT: Jane Eyre

> That's the thing, though.  Jane doesn't seem to care much for that
> kind of social proprieties.  I mean, watch her go off on foot across
> England, or offer to accompany St. John to the Indies without marrying
> him. They're both, by the standards of the time, pretty compromising
> things to do, but she doesn't let that bother her as long as she can still
> claim the moral high ground.  I can totally see her face poor Mr.
> Rochester down, "compromised" or no.

I think she'd see a difference between consciously going with a man as his
companion and having lived "in sin" with a man to whom she was not and had
no chance of being married. The latter, which would disgrace her in
society's eyes, would leave her much more vulnerable.

There's an article about this in one of John Sutherland's books of literary
conundrums - I think it's called "Can Jane Eyre Be Happy?"!

Gill