Urban fantasy (was Charles DeLint (OT))

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 4 22:19:11 EDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> Time city almost is.  The fantasy doesn't depend on the city
> setting, but the city, as an entity, is important to it.

No, I don't think so. We've agreed that "urban" isn't necessarily the
same as "modern", nor "technological"; can we also agree that "urban"
isn't necessarily the same as "city"? The city is important to ToTC, I
agree, but not in the way that makes me think "urban fantasy".

>From the structure of the plot, with people travelling to distant and
exotic locales in search of mystic artefacts, I'd say ToTC was more of
a quest narrative type thing.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."