Time of the Ghost - Spoilers, questions on the ending

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Apr 4 17:59:10 EDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:50:20 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>Well, I should be rushing off to a rehearsal, but I shall just try and type
>another idea:
>
>This relates to my idea that ypu can't change the future either.  There is only
>one future, but WE BUILD IT.
>
>Monigan's getting Julian instead of Sally wasn't the result of a _change_ made
>anywhere.  It was always going to happen that way.  All the events in the book
>lead up to this.
>
>For Monigan, all times run side by side.  Therefore it matters not a whit to her
>that advice given now is acted upon seven years ago.  So there's no reason for
>this to cause a change.
>
>"Meant to have Julian all along?"  Perhaps not.  But if all times run side by
>side, she knew that's what would happen.  And it didn't matter to her that they
>were going to be able to save Sally, because Julian had also dedicated himself.
>
>To the human characters, these things did matter.  The future may be impossible
>to change, but it is still what we make it.  So Sally was indeed saved by the
>various actions of the characters.  As for which actions, I'm still not sure.
>Even if it is Imo's gift of her musical career, I don't think it's as clear how
>as you make out.  But then it's not meant to be...

Ick.  Determinism.  You also tend to equate Monigan with the Christian ideal
of omnipotent/omniscient.  Monigan is neither.  Just because time runs side
by side for her doesn't make her all-knowing let alone all-powerful.  I like
the idea of (the reader) holding mutual time-streams in consideration and
working out where things change and their downstream effects and the free
will that gives the characters to influence the past *and* future.

Jacob Proffitt