Neverwhere, and Charles DeLint (OT)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Apr 4 16:45:56 EDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
> I've heard it described as "magic realism".  But then I've heard "magic
> realism" defined differently, as well, so who knows?
Ick. I hate the term "magic realism," mostly because I've heard it applied
to Isabel Allende's books, and the one of hers that I read ("House of the
Spirits," I think) I absolutely hated and didn't really see any magic at
all in it.

And about Neverwhere: I read the book first, and then saw the miniseries,
and was amazed by how cool each of them was, for different reasons. The
Great Beast of London looked awfully cheesy in the miniseries, but oh
well. I am glad that it was a miniseries first, because I am impressed
with Gaiman's ability to put in really interesting bits that seem integral
to the personalities of the people--like how Door is always reading a book
when she's in other people's living spaces, and it's always a copy of
Mansfield Park that they didn't know they had. If the book had come first
and they hadn't put that bit in (although there's really no way to put it
into a tv show), I would have been disappointed.

I am intrigued, however, by the ways the descriptions of people in the
book differed from how they appeared in the miniseries. Like Hunter. Maybe
I'm a dork, but I didn't picture a really skinny very dark-skinned black
woman from the description in the book. And I don't think I thought the
Marquis was black with long braids, although he did look immensely cool in
the miniseries. I suppose it just demonstrates how the way an author sees
things in his head isn't always how they get translated to the screen.