Urban fantasy(was Charles DeLint (OT))

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Tue Apr 3 14:23:19 EDT 2001

Philip:
> To me, "urban fantasy" means that the fantasy world system (there's
probably a
> term for this, but I don't know it) depends on the city.  Like, say, Our
Lady of
> Darkness by Fritz Leiber.  There's another example I'm thinking of, but I
can't
> remember author or title.  Suffice it to say that New York City mapped
onto the
> fantasy world, and the fantasy world was under threat from development
projects
> in NYC.
This made me think of a book called Downtown, by someone whose name I can't
remember. It was brilliant, though. Two successive copies of it have gone
walkabouts so far... Maybe I'll get another one in a charity shop again. But
I digress. It was an urban fantasy, with a subterranean "otherworld", set in
NY, and there was some threat from developers, possibly to Central Park. The
tube (or rather, subway) train was like a black metal monster, I recall.
When I saw Neverwhere, it reminded me v. much of Downtown. Anyone else read
it?
Ania