yotg discussion (Spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 10:02:33 EDT 2001

> Dorian:
>
> > I'm peeved that those nasty dwarves got the Notebook.
>
> Yes: they're just going to fill it with "Tenth month after the
> expulsion from Home: acquired 4 ounces of gold from new mine"
> entries.

Not so. For two reasons:

1. Their stated plans for the Notebook were that they were going to
   get people to pay gold for a chance to write stuff in the Notebook
   and find out if it was true.

2. When they get kicked out of their fastness, one of them glumly
   observes that they're going to have to pay a large incentive,
   i.e. the Notebook, to be accepted into any other fastness.

> And I'd only ever write in soft pencil, so that if a later owner
> thought I was an idiot, ke could remove my little testbed truth
> entries.

That sounds like a good idea.

I've been wondering, since I read YotG, what the dwarves intended to
do when they ran out of space to write things in.

("What do I intend to do once I've found enough Truth to fill the
Notebook? Well, first off, keep a sharp eye out for flying pigs...")

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."