Cream cakes and annotations was RE: bagels

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 09:56:24 EDT 2001

obDWJ: speaking of bakeries, does anyone know if the
"cream cakes" of Howl's Moving Castle actually exist?
Jenwa
--

Oh yes. At most bakeries you can get various kinds, from small buns in
several flavours with a filling of sweetened whipped cream, to the kind

We seem to have between us come up with lots of definitions of things in
DWJ's books, like treacle and sherbert lemons and so on. Is there any way we
could do a DWJ annotations list? (Not just for food, but expanding on stuff
that might be puzzling or one might miss, where knowing it adds something to
the pleasure. Eg when I read Donne, partly because of "Go and catch a
falling star" from Howl, I also found that when Howl says "Busy old fool,
unruly Sophie" he's mangling "Busy old fool, unruly sun[/Why dost thou
thus/Through windows and through curtains shine on us].)
Someone would need to go through the archives to find definitions, and also
pounce on new ones as they appear, and someone would need to host them on a
webpage. I could do the first (though probably very slowly) but not host
them.
Jennifer