yotg discussion (spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 09:47:08 EDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

[Year of the Griffin spoilers]

> Deus ex machina worked slightly better in Time City, where Wilander
> has been around all along, even if Faber John hasn't.

And how is this different from YotG, where Policant *has* been around
all along? :)

Seriously, the moving-and-talking statue had to be leading up to
something, so the way it suddenly turned out to be the real Policant
wasn't entirely unexpected. Although I suppose we could have done with
a few more specific hints about what it was leading up to.

> It also worked slightly better in Dark Lord, where Anscher is a much
> more convincing deus and his appearance is slightly less ex machina
> (he is responding to prayer).  On the other hand, since at the end
> of DL the gods stepped in, I would have expected to see them at work
> more in YotG, but they seem to have retired to the background again.

As you say, in DLoD, the gods are responding to prayer.

The gods of Derk's world, I get the impression, are very big on not
sticking their noses in where they're not wanted. In DLoD, they didn't
do anything about Mr Chesney until Derk asked for help; having done
something about Mr Chesney, they went away again. In YotG, I didn't
notice anyone asking the gods for anything, so it's no surprise to me
that they didn't show up.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."