yotg discussion (spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 09:37:46 EDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

> My worry was more along the lines of, How did Derk get his griffins
> so right, when he didn't seem to know about natural griffins when he
> started - and it was a shock to all concerned when Talithan
> mentioned the existence of the griffins on the other continent?

We never see Derk's reaction to the announcement that there are
griffins on the other continent (for one thing, he isn't present when
Talithan makes it). For all we know, Derk knew about them all along --
as Blade says, he had to get the idea of griffins somewhere; and it
would explain a few things if he was deliberately trying to copy the
real griffins.

> Also a subject that painfully few fantasy authors tackle - why the
> heck to the griffins and the humans speak the same language?  There
> is little or no contact between the species

There's no basis for that assertion.

We're told several times in YotG that there are humans as well as
griffins on the other continent; we're told that there were both
humans and griffins on both sides of the war that Blade and co. went
to intervene in, so there must be some contact between them.

Come to that, all the griffins we meet in YotG had already met Blade
and co., which meeting presumably involved an opportunity to
straighten out any language problems that arose.

> And why are Derk's griffins so universally attractive to natural
> griffins?  Is this a coincidence?  Is it a sort of "exotic beauty"
> thing?

Now, that *is* a bit odd.

Paul
--