Year of the Griffin

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 09:25:15 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Tanaqui wrote:

> The _Tough Guide_ seemed depressingly familiar, and as I read _Dark
> Lord_, it was all too appallingly clear to me that real people were
> being constrained to live in rigidly-defined theme-park parameters.

Something that has struck me every time I've read DLoD is the way some
of the things that one would assume were imposed by Mr Chesney,
*weren't*.

For instance, the Thieves' Guild -- that iconic mainstay of the
badly-written fantasyland -- is apparently a native feature of Derk's
world, predating the arrival of the Pilgrim Parties.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."