bagels (was Re: Nonpareils, plus book recommendation)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 07:16:39 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jenwa Hsung wrote:

> somewhere in Europe, a <insert governmental authority
> figure here, probably king> decided to put a tax on
> the use of ovens.  one clever baker realized that you
> could perhaps make bread similar to donuts [hmm.
> wonder how donuts were invented... perhaps i'm making
> the donut part up and he was just spontaneously
> clever, i heard this story long long ago]

As I recall, donuts were invented long after bagels.

Also, the usual story is that donuts were invented by someone whose
cakes kept going wrong in the middle, so she took the middle out...

> obDWJ: speaking of bakeries, does anyone know if the
> "cream cakes" of Howl's Moving Castle actually exist?

Presumably something like them exists somewhere.
(Having to be vague, because I can't recall what the "cream cakes"
were actually like.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."