Time of the Ghost - Spoilers, questions on the ending

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Apr 3 03:52:06 EDT 2001

	I think everyone else has given great ideas about Imo's sacrifice - and
Melissa, you just came up with some things I'd never thought about before,
too, so thanks.  Really I just want to add something else - this has
always been my absolute favorite part of the book, that it could and had
to be Imo and not Sally.  Because, of course, it's part of that truly
wonderful way DWJ has with writing about families that a sister could
give a sacrifice to save her sister like that.  This is my favorite thing
about the book as a whole, in fact - I mean, just the idea that Sally
could be uncertain who she is - very few other writers or people I know
understand that kind of deep sibling bond, where you honestly could get
yourself mixed up with another person in some ways - I could absolutely
see being fooled into thinking I was my brother, though, in that same
disbelieving and sort of annoyed way that Sally has, if I were in a
similar situation.  And then that it's what Sally's sister does for her
that saves her - it just seems so right to me.
	Then, of course, the book is dedicated to Isobel.  And from the
autobiography, Isobel is clearly the model for Imo.  Somehow it makes ToG
fifty times better for me to learn that she became one of the first female
professors in England.  I find it so immensely relieving ;-).

						---Kyra

"Let me forget about today until tomorrow."

				---Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"