Time of the Ghost - Spoilers, questions on the ending

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Apr 2 16:00:16 EDT 2001

Liz said...

> I read Time of the Ghost last week, and found it very different to any
other
> DWJ I've read so far. For one thing, it was scary!

Hm...I never found it all that scary (though admittedly, I don't scare that
easily).  It is one of her most powerful books, though, and definitely one
of my very favourites.

> Firstly, *why* was Monigan after Sally? Was it because of the pact Sally
and
> Julian had made with Monigan? Or was it something to do with the picture
of
> Sally that Ned gave Monigan? (I'm thinking here of the idea of giving part
> of your soul away when you give something personal like that away.) Or
both?

I think it was because Sally (and Julian) had pledged themselves to Monigan;
she was collecting on their promise.

> Ned obviously knew that Sally was in danger - or did he? The quote about
her
> realising why he'd always been so ready to meet her for coffee - is this
> because he thinks he's endangered her by giving the picture to Monigan, or
> is it just supposed to mean that he's in love with her?

A bit of both, I think.  Ned was definitely in love with Sally, but I think
he also had some inkling of the danger she was in; he was there when they
all tried to save the ghost, after all, and he was (IIRC) one of the
original worshippers of Monigan.

> Next, Howard. Why, when Sally realises what he's given Monigan, does she
> shiver and think, that's why he's in Canada? Is it again because it's
> something personal, which gives Monigan power over him? Or is there more
> it?

Howard gave Monigan his homeland.  Therefore, he has to leave it.

> Imogen - why exactly does she have to give something in order to release
> Sally? Because she's the only one who didn't give anything to begin with?
Or
> does she make some pact with Monigan while she's caught in the storm? I
know
> that what she does give is worth more (or is it?) than the gifts of the
> others, but most of the gifts are things that are important to the giver,
> and should therefore have worth.

Imogen is one of the original group, and every other member has given
something.  And since none of the other gifts have done the trick, Sally can
only, desperately, hope that Imogen will be able to do it.

Imogen's gift is something that's very important to her, at the time when
she gives it.  The grown-up Imogen is terribly relieved that now she doesn't
have to be a concert pianist, but the child Imogen still believes that
that's what her career is to be, and it's quite a wrench to give up the
chance of being rich and famous and so on - not to mention the
disappointment it will probably cause her mother.

> Finally, can someone please tell me whether any other of DWJ's books are
> this disturbing, so I can approach them with a little more caution! Oh,
and
> I don't suppose there's any sequel, is there?

Since I didn't find the book all that disturbing, I'm not sure I can answer
that question!  I feel that "Power of Three" has a similar power, though.

No, there isn't a sequel.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--