A sinister topic

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 12:53:26 EDT 2001

>> Kyla's signature said:
>>
>>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>>> Why do an infinite number of monkeys always want to type
>>> "Hamlet"? What's wrong with "Macbeth"? Why not something
>>> by Dickens or Poe?
>>>         --Tom Knapp
>>
>> There's a skit by David Ives in "All in the Timing" which is about
>> three monkeys trying to type Hamlet. One of them comes up with "It
>> was the best of times, it was the worst of times", but trashes it.
>
> There's a short story I read once, where a statistician tells a friend
> about the monkeys-randomly-typing-Hamlet thing and the friend, in a
> fit of boredom, buys twenty monkeys and twenty typewriters and sticks
> them in his basement to see what happens.
>
> What happens is that each immediately starts typing a different work
> of classic literature, letter perfect.

I like it, but I agree with David (who used a similar technique to generate
random curses in Eight Days of Luke) that the monkeys would get bored far too
quickly...

Philip (trying to bring this back on topic...)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970