OT: Jane Eyre

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 2 11:52:43 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, otheng wrote:

> > Oh, now you're just being unfair to poor Mr. Rochester!  I'll admit
> > he's a massive great bully, but he didn't exactly choose the first
> > wife - well, he didn't exactly choose her at all!  But Jane - no.
> > The joy of that book to me is that she can take care of herself, even
> > before he's crippled.
>
> But would she if she had gone through with the wedding?  She'd have been
> "compromised" if the truth had been later revealed, and he would have had a
> great deal more power over her.

That's the thing, though.  Jane doesn't seem to care much for that
kind of social proprieties.  I mean, watch her go off on foot across
England, or offer to accompany St. John to the Indies without marrying
him. They're both, by the standards of the time, pretty compromising
things to do, but she doesn't let that bother her as long as she can still
claim the moral high ground.  I can totally see her face poor Mr.
Rochester down, "compromised" or no.

Alexandra