Connie Willis

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 05:39:36 EDT 2001

>Finally, some advice, please. I am certain my boyfriend would love To Say
>Nothing of the Dog, but he refuses to read fantasy/sf (apart from Narnia -
>and that was only because someone told him he was like Puddleglum) as he is
>convinced he hates it all. How can I persuade him to read TSNOTD? Or some
>DWJ? I don't think there's much hope of getting him to read girls' school
>stories (my other literary love) but it would be nice to have a genre in
>common. He reads theology, intelligent detective stories, and Aga sagas.
>Rosie

As someone else said, give him an intelligent detective story with a sf
setting, to get him over the hump of not reading the genre. I can't think of
any DWJ that fits that (maybe Castle In The Air in a sort of way) but
Borders Of Infinity by Bujold most certainly does. (And one of the stories
in there even has some theology in it!). Or try him on a fantasy family
saga, I suppose.
Jennifer