Nonpareils, plus book recommendation

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 08:53:01 EDT 2001

>I can't believe that
>East End Jews were trying to emulate Americans! This place has been around
>for too long to be jumping on some kind of trendy food bandwagon. Please
>explain?
>Ania

I think the point is, that bagels as they are currently known (bagels and
lox) are an American Jewish development. They probably had their roots in
some sort of European pretzel that was first boiled, then baked, but they
only became famous when they immigrated to America. So they are just as much
American as they are Jewish, perhaps like Jazz, which is both American and
African.

A few days ago someone here asked about Jewish foods, and I lost the message
before I could reply. I think the question was about the similarity between
Eastern European cuisine and what is known as Jewish cuisine, which came
first. And I think the answer is that neither really came first: cuisines
develop to match the needs and conditions in a certain society. Where meat
is expensive, but people expect to eat meat with every meal and the climate
is not condusive to growing a large variety of vegetables, all sorts of ways
of stretching the use of meat and using every last bit of meat: boil the
hooves for calf's foot jelly (eugh), make tail soup, stuff the intestines
with breadcrumbs, make tiny portions of meat seem more satisfying by
encasing them in dough as dumplings, chop carp as finely as possible so that
this incredibly bony fish can nonetheless be eaten by children as well,
etc.etc.

Thus each country developed different cuisines, and each Jewish community
developed different Jewish cuisines because Jews were subject to more
dietary restrictions than their neighbors, for religious reasons. What is
known in America as Jewish food is really just the particular Jewish food of
Eastern European. Eastern European Jews immigrated to America in large
numbers and settled together, effectively importing most of their culture
with them. But there are particular Jewish cuisines native to other parts of
the world: Morrocan Jewish foods and Yemenite Jewish foods are quite
different than European Jewish foods, though they solve some of the same
problems such as not cooking meat with milk, not lighting any fires for one
day each week, and avoiding products like seafood and pork.