bagels

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Apr 1 21:35:47 EDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, M Elizabeth Parks wrote:
> I have one friend who is very similar to the
> stereotype of rich NYC Jew. . . . if you ask her about Jewish food, her
> reply will involve sweet and sour *pork*.
Well, that's kind of problematic in my opinion. But then again, I'm not a
New York Jew, I'm a suburban Boston Jew. My family doesn't eat pork, sweet
and sour or not. I think New York has a lot of secular Jews.

> I always thought that bagels
> were Jewish food the same way that Chinese food is.
No, no, Chinese food is the traditional Christmas dinner for Jews. Other
than that, it's just something everyone eats. Bagels, on the other hand,
are produced by Jewish bakeries among others; and since we have bagels and
lox for Shabbat lunch whenever my grandmother the orthodox Jew is visiting
from Jerusalem, I count them as being as Jewish as kugel.