bagels (was Re: Nonpareils, plus book recommendation)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sun Apr 1 21:15:30 EDT 2001

I've actually read that New York City has the highest concentration of
Jews in the world.  I have one friend who is very similar to the
stereotype of rich NYC Jew. . . . if you ask her about Jewish food, her
reply will involve sweet and sour *pork*.  I always thought that bagels
were Jewish food the same way that Chinese food is.

Anecdote: last year, a (Jewish) friend was talking about her family's
cooking, and said "Jews make good food."  Her roommate blinked, wrinkled
her nose, and asked, deadpan, "Baked or fried?"  The rest of that dialogue
is unrepeatable; I will tell you that we laughed so hard that people threw
things at us.

obDWJ: In Time City, when Leon, Viv, Inga, and Vivien are all cast out
into history, (connection being that a butter-pie covered Vivien was sent
to China) has anyone else ever worried about possible paradoxes that would
occur if Inga (send to Iceland as it was being settled, and the daughter
of the Icelandic Emporer) became her own ancestor?  And I have actually
always felt a bit bad for little Vivien--sure, she was very much a brat,
but she was also a little girl just sort of dumped into ancient China--I
can think of twenty horrible things that could happen to her off the top
of my head, and all of them are more likely than any pleasant alternative.

lizzie