bagels (was Re: Nonpareils, plus book recommendation)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Apr 1 20:45:59 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Anna Skarzynska wrote:
> How odd. There is a bagel bakery in Hackney, East London, and it's the real
> thing, run by Jewish people, a family business etc., and they do bagels
> which resemble those you get in supermarkets here, only a thousand times
> better (the supermarket ones have American flags emblazoned upon them, so
> they must be at least vaguely like the American ones). I can't believe that
> East End Jews were trying to emulate Americans! This place has been around
> for too long to be jumping on some kind of trendy food bandwagon. Please
> explain?
Well, I know that the best bagels are to be found in New York, just like
the best delis. I think it's because that huge concentration of Jews from
Eastern Europe that settled in New York City then developed these (forms
of) these foods. And I hope that you weren't suggesting in the above
comment that emulating Americans is a heinous thing to do. There are
significantly more Jews in the US than there are in the UK (and more than
in Israel, I think, which is interesting), and bagels have been around for
far longer than the trend which led to places like Dunkin' Donuts making
bagels (the wrong way, I might add).

Just my pro-Jew-food two cents. :^)