A Sinister Subject

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 20:18:17 EDT 2001

Gili wrote

> They say older languages are written from right to left because
it's easier
> for non-lefties to chisel in that direction, and later languages
switched
> because it's easier for non lefties to ink in that direction.

Ancient Greek was written from right to left and then from left to
right in alternate lines. It was called boustrophedon, meaning
ploughwise. They wrote on scrolls so I presume this allowed them
to unroll the scroll in one direction and then roll it back in the other.
However they held their pens I bet their hands weren't supposed to
touch the paper.

Are left handers more prone to writers cramp like conditions if they
twist thei r hands round to write? And does it lead to slower writing?
I saw some interesting research on the effects of handwriting on
exam results. They found a group of mostly female pupils who
underperformed compared to their classwork. This was a group
with beautiful, sometimes elaborate handwriting which took longer
to do so they weren't finishing their papers in the time. This made
me thinbk of Theresa in Witch week, with her "angel writing".
(ObDwj)
                                           Ven.