Fantasy story collection (was: Margaret Mahy (was "120 messages!!!"))

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Sun Apr 1 19:23:43 EDT 2001

> >From: Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
>
> >Most of Neil Gaiman's short work is a bit graphic, one way or
> >another.

I first encountered (not personally, alas!) Neil Gaiman as writer of
Sandman, then other comics. When BBC made Neverwhere, I thought that it was
v. comic-like in dialogue. I could see it in stills with speech bubbles with
only a little exercise of imagination. Must watch my tape of it again one
day soon to see if I still think that. (I taped the lot when it was on
first)
As to Stardust, I bought the text-only version not knowing the illustrated
one existed, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Very Neil G. My only criticism is
that, like in a lot of his comics work, everything dovetails ever so neatly
at the end. You end up wishing for a jagged edge or five.
Ania