Time of the Ghost - Spoilers, questions on the ending

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at cableinet.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 17:44:02 EDT 2001

Hello all,

Better warn that this email will be littered with spoilers, so if you
haven't read TOTG, read no further!

I read Time of the Ghost last week, and found it very different to any other
DWJ I've read so far. For one thing, it was scary! (Sorry, I scare easily; I
decided to stop watching thrillers unless there was a really good reason for
it after I saw Seven about six years ago.) The beginning was genuinely
upsetting, when Sally didn't know who or where she was.

Several aspects of the end confused me, though, I think mostly to do with
the gifts that everyone gave Monigan. I'm going to apologise now if the
answers seem obvious to everyone else - I was speed-reading towards the end
because it was late, but I couldn't put the book down unfinished.

Firstly, *why* was Monigan after Sally? Was it because of the pact Sally and
Julian had made with Monigan? Or was it something to do with the picture of
Sally that Ned gave Monigan? (I'm thinking here of the idea of giving part
of your soul away when you give something personal like that away.) Or both?

Ned obviously knew that Sally was in danger - or did he? The quote about her
realising why he'd always been so ready to meet her for coffee - is this
because he thinks he's endangered her by giving the picture to Monigan, or
is it just supposed to mean that he's in love with her?

Next, Howard. Why, when Sally realises what he's given Monigan, does she
shiver and think, that's why he's in Canada? Is it again because it's
something personal, which gives Monigan power over him? Or is there more to
it?

Imogen - why exactly does she have to give something in order to release
Sally? Because she's the only one who didn't give anything to begin with? Or
does she make some pact with Monigan while she's caught in the storm? I know
that what she does give is worth more (or is it?) than the gifts of the
others, but most of the gifts are things that are important to the giver,
and should therefore have worth.

What was the "terrible price" extracted from Lesley?

Finally, can someone please tell me whether any other of DWJ's books are
this disturbing, so I can approach them with a little more caution! Oh, and
I don't suppose there's any sequel, is there?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Liz O