A sinister topic

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:57:50 EDT 2001

Paul wrote:

>There's a short story I read once, where a statistician tells a friend
>about the monkeys-randomly-typing-Hamlet thing and the friend, in a
>fit of boredom, buys twenty monkeys and twenty typewriters and sticks
>them in his basement to see what happens.

I've heard of this, but not read it. I'd be grateful for any details about
who wrote it and where I could find it!

This also reminds me of a short story about a lab doing experiments with
baby monkeys and their perception of object constancy. They end up
developing a monkey who can make things dissappear by shutting her eyes.