Nonpareils, plus book recommendation

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:46:23 EDT 2001

Bodil, thanks for that long and excellent discussion of sweets!

If it were not for this list, and Jessie in particular who sent me a pack by
mail, I would not have known what sherbet lemons are. My translation of this
term is one of the single most picked-upon points about the books in Hebrew.
I was looking for a sweet that did not contain the words "candy" or "sweet"
in its name, was known for being sticky, and was known as a favourite of
children but not necessarily of adults. I picked an Israeli sweet called a
"krembo", which matches these criteria but is quite obviously not a lemon
sherbet: it's this sort of fluffy whipped gooey stuff on a cookie (biscuit)
base with a very thin chocolate topping. Squashes easily and must be eaten
fresh for full effect. I thought it would be funny to have Dumbledore
pulling a couple of these out of his pocket, much funnier than any other
candy I could think of. But one critic was outraged, and wrote in very nasty
words in an important newspaper that I must not know enough English to
understand the phrase "lemon sorbet" (in the ice-cream sense).

As for pretzels: in Israeli Hebrew, they are called "beygaleh", which made
for some confusion when bagels were first imported here. I know it's
supposed to be a Jewish food, but there were no American-style bagels in
Israel before the last decade or so. The closest thing was o-shaped soft
pretzels.