Libby Beer and Old Ammet -- Dalemark Spoilers

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 20:50:05 EDT 2000

Back to this again, its been bubbling away on the back burner ever
since my first post on the topic and I had a couple more ideas.

First, Robin, in the Spellcoats she is an unmarried young woman
who several people want to marry -- including the King who seems
to think it would bring him a religio-political advantage. Thats not at
all inconsistent with her developing some magical fertility aspect
later on. Furthermore while there are overt reasons for her
unhappiness throughout most of the book, uprooted from her home
in time of war, found her true love and lost him again, her
depression and sickness could also stem from some magical
connection to the afflicted land.

Secondly Old Ammet. I've always found him a bit of a puzzle -- is
his sphere land or sea? He might bring luck to sailors but he
creates earthquakes and raises islands and turns stale bread fresh.
It came to me that in this he resembles Poseidon, a sea god ansd
earthshaker. Now when we first meet Tanamil he is presiding over
the watersmeet but he is bound -- essentially not fulfilling his
potential. Now, another meaning of watersmeet could be where the
sea meets the land, fitting in with the Sea festiival. Extending the
metaphor a bit further, boats could be another place where the land
meets the water.

All a bit tenuous I know but I am tending toward the belief that
Robin and Tanamil could have transfigured into fertility goddess and
earth shaker.
                                           Ven.