Books and reading age

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Thu Sep 21 15:11:20 EDT 2000

This is something that occurred to me last night, and I was wondering what
others' opinions would be about this. Let me see if I can explain this
right.   I was thinking about certain books that I love, that I read when
I was much younger.  Thos are books that I can reread now and still enjoy
them--perhaps not for the same reasons, but I still enjoy them.  But
recently I've picked up some books which are similar in theme, age level,
etc and I just don't have the same feeling for them.  For example: someone
on this list mentioned how much they love boarding school stories.  I feel
the same way about books in which kids solve mysteries.  I've always loved
them.  There is a series like this by E.W. Hildick, and I read the earlier
books back when I was 12 or 13.  Recently I reread one of them and
enjoyed it, so I got some of his later books, puclished recently but still
part of the same series, and I didn't like those at all.  And I don't
think the quality of the later books is the problem; it seems to me the
writing is still good, but my reaction to them is different. Part of it
may be the nostalgia factor, of course, but do you think (let me see if I
can ask this right) that for some books there's a certain age that you
need to read them by, and if you haven't read them by that age (which
probably differs for everyone) that you'll never have the same feeling
about the book? Does this question make any sense?  I've been trying to
figure out why I haven't liked these books and was curious to see what you
think.
Laurie