Book distribution (was: Re: YotG)

Thu Sep 21 00:25:56 EDT 2000

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:47:48 +0300, Rainio Tarja wrote:
>
>>Aaarrggh!
>>
>>This time we Europeans just have to wait.... According to Amacon.co.uk the
>>British edition won't appear until October. I hate waiting =P.

Up until last week the US edition was scheduled for October.  I was just as
surprised as Margaret to see it available *now*.  I don't know what makes
this happen, but it's not the first time a book has come out slightly
earlier than expected.  (Better than being delayed, eh?)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:24:00 -0600, Jacob Proffitt wrote:
>I hate that things aren't universally available all at the same time.  We're
>so globally connected it's about time that distribution caught onto that
>trend.  We end up buying stuff from Amazon.co.uk just because we don't want
>to wait for Terry Pratchett to trickle into the U.S. (and because the UK
>covers are always better).  It means that we pay for the distribution
>(shipping), but we're dumb enough to think it's worth it.

For the first time, the US hardcover release is at the same time as the UK
(November).  Another thing I found out while browsing last night.  It seems
HarperCollins is making good on its promise to push Terry Pratchett in the
US market.  Not that I won't still buy the UK edition.  It's not like I find
the covers *intrinsically* attractive (because they're not) but for me the
Kirby art is like a hallmark of the series.

Melissa Proffitt