YotG

Margaret E Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:47:19 EDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:47:48 +0300, Rainio Tarja wrote:
>
> >Aaarrggh!
> >
> >This time we Europeans just have to wait.... According to Amacon.co.uk the
> >British edition won't appear until October. I hate waiting =P.
> >
> >Enjoy your books,
>
> I hate that things aren't universally available all at the same time.  We're
> so globally connected it's about time that distribution caught onto that
> trend.  We end up buying stuff from Amazon.co.uk just because we don't want
> to wait for Terry Pratchett to trickle into the U.S. (and because the UK
> covers are always better).  It means that we pay for the distribution
> (shipping), but we're dumb enough to think it's worth it.

That's why I was so amazed when I rounded the corner in Barnes and Noble
last night and saw six or so copies facing out.  In Barnes and Noble, no
less.  I mean, B&N's a great bookstore, and I liked working in one, but
they tend to be pretty devoutly american in their children's
selections.  I was impressed.  I bought it, and then came home and
canceled my online order from amazon.co.uk; I'd preordered it at the same
time I got mixed magics--still not available in the US, I might add.  I
just checked, and the newest things from DWJ are YotG and two volumes
called "The Chrestomanci Chronicles," one with TLoCC and Charmed Life, the
other with MoC and Witch Week.  The covers are. . . interesting.  They've
got cats on them, in front of windows.  Not what I would have neccesarily
thought of (my favorite's still the knopf of CL with Cat, Gwendolen/Janet,
and the dragon standing in front of the Castle, because that's what I
first read), but an improvement over that knobby strange-looking man who
was supposed to be chrestomanci on the cover of mixed magics.

 And I have
to say that I prefer the american terry pratchett covers--not the old
ones, the ones with psychedelic colors and an icon, but the new ones, like
the carpe jugulum paperback with the e.t. type picture.  the UK ones are
too. . . colorful and busy for my tastes.

Which reminds me.  I just saw a movie set in Australia, and the characters
had beers in hand with many x's on them; is this why he called it
XXXX?  or not?

lizzie