age difference

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Sep 19 10:54:45 EDT 2000

Age difference does seem to be a running theme in her stories...
mostly older man-younger women is good, you'll notice. In Fire and
Hemlock she even addresses the problematic nature of these situations
in Fiona's experience with her father's friend from Germany. But
perhaps this is shown to contrast a youthful crush with a long-term
friendship that over time might turn into something else.

SANDMAN SPOILER

Relationships with the ageless are more theoretical, as agelessness
is (as far as we know) only a metaphor in our world. The discussion
brought SANDMAN to mind again, in the person of Hob Gadling, who
makes a deal with Dream to stay the same age. Dream meets Hob every
100 years, and in the end Hob makes so bold as to suggest Dream is
lonely, and needs mortal friends.

This echoes the HOMEWARD BOUNDERS' Jamie: "You wouldn't believe how
lonely you get."

I haven't read a lot of Jung, but one piece that sticks in my mind is
his description of how, as a very young boy, he was a ware of an "old
man" inside him, full of wisdom and insight. This is what comes to
mind when agelessness in a character comes up...giving oneself up to
the old man or woman (in wiccan terms, the Crone) in you. It does, I
think, have a way of making one lonely. It is certainly ultimately a
solo endeavor...Jamie's story is a neat summary of how that can be,
even in the midst of comrades and friends.

Back to work (mapping the commuter rail lines of Philadelphia. Yum (not).)

Nat