Mitt and Maewen

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Sep 19 08:50:19 EDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> With _Fire and Hemlock_ the age difference didn't bother me so much as it
> totally threw me off.  It never even occurred to me that it was a possible
> love match until the very end.  Duh.
It's hard to think back that far, to when I first read it, but I think I
reacted the same way. Huh? Love? What? :^) Probably because Tom tried so
hard to squash any tendencies toward a relationship (dismissing the bits
about Hero dressing the wound in Tan Coul's back/shoulder as sentimental
rubbish, or something).

> And it's not so much the absolute difference in age as it is the difference
> in stages of life.
Precisely! That's why I think it's sketchy for seniors and freshmen (in
either high school or college) to date--one group's coming in, the other's
going out, and the knowledge/life experience difference is so great. But
if both people have graduated from college, 3 years is a piddling little
difference.

> It's like other immortal characters in fiction, like vampires and
> Highlander-style immortals.  They almost never act their age, and I'd think
> living so long should have *some* effect on their personalities.
Well, except that we can't really judge because we've never seen what
*growing* old without *looking* or feeling physically old will do to a
person. It also might be a sort of wanting to feel (mentally) young
again. Also, one can be friends with people of all ages, and friendship is
halfway to love.

And since you appear to be referring to Angel and Buffy, I think part of
that is that she isn't *just* a 16-year-old; she's a 16-year-old who has
to repeatedly save the world, which will age someone a bit, or at least
produce an odd maturing effect.

> Melissa Proffitt
> who knows it is late
> when she worries about
> the love life
> of fictional characters
Oh, come on! That means it's late for me all the time! :^) (Besides,
fictional characters have much more interesting love lives than my friends
do... :^)