Historical novels probably unhelpful

Tue Sep 19 02:22:16 EDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:40:40 +0100, Ven wrote:

>Melissa wrote
>> And on this note, anyone know where I can find real rules for Tarocchi?  I
>> did a little research online, but found no actual rules that I could
>> correlate to the game in _A Game of Kings_, and _The Dorothy Dunnett
>> Companion_ is deeply out of print.
>>
>I've not read Dorothy Dunnet (tried one once and couldn't get into it,
>may try again). However I used to have a copy of the rules to a
>game called Tarrocco, which sounds related. Played with tarot
>cards its a cross between whist and rummy

I think this is it!  It had a number of different names when I looked
online, but no rules.

>(oh lord, I bet these games have different names everywhere). In
>whist type games the object is to win tricks by laying down a card
>of the highest rank, and the trumps outrank all the other suits. In
>rummy the object is to collect several cards of a kind (ie three
>tens) or a run of the same suit (Jack, Queen, King of, say,
>diamonds}.

What *do* we call whist-type games here?  I can't think of a specific name,
but we have hearts...I guess we call them "trick-taking games" because we
are stupid Amerikaners.  :)

>So, basically, each player has 25 cards. They play for tricks, as in
>whist, then make up rummy type hands from the cards they have
>won. The scoring is reminiscent of Mah Jong without the doubling. I
>should imagine the strategies of the best players would be
>labyrinthine.
>
>You were probably talking about a differerent kind of game
>altogether...............

No, that really does sound right.  But it's been a while since I read _Game
of Kings_.  It was this REALLY COOL and intense scene with a very
high-stakes game going on.  _A Game of Kings_ is probably my favorite of the
whole series (I never did finish _Checkmate_, hit an emotional overload and
had to stop, but it was pretty good too) but all of them have these great
scenes sprinkled throughout.  Not for the fainthearted, but I recommend them
muchly.

Melissa Proffitt