Rarity of _Fire and Hemlock_?

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 17:14:12 EDT 2000

Is _Fire and Hemlock_ really so terribly rare? I've just seen a copy on ABE
for $400. Now, that's obviously one of those utterly ridiculous prices that
we're seeing more and more of lately, but even if it's four to eight times
too high, I'd be surprised to hear that F&H was rare enough to be worth
$50-$100. (It isn't even a signed copy, which mine is -- thanks, Nat :) )

And what do you suppose the story is on the copies of various works
supposedly inscribed by DWJ to her mother? Like this:

"1.  Wynne Jones, Diana.: A Sudden Wild Magic
London: Victor Gollancz, 1996 1st Edition. Fine/Fine. SIGNED and Dedicated
"To Mummy with love (and apologies) Diana Wynne Jones". A Genuine Family
Connection. Bookseller Inventory # 918
Price: £ 40.00 (approx. US$ 56.23) convert currency
Presented by Surprise Books, Stroud, GLO, United Kingdom
order options "

It sounds like somebody's joke to me. (Forgive me if I asked this before, but
I don't think I actually ever did.)

Helen Schinske
HSchinske at aol.com