Lymond Chronicles (spoilers)

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Mon Sep 18 16:55:35 EDT 2000

on 18.9.2000 23:04, Melissa Proffitt at Melissa at Proffitt.com wrote:

> Oh yes.  Heartwrenching, even--and annoying and frustrating and exhilarating
> too.  _Pawn in Frankincense_ had me in tears--the mother of a blond
> two-year-old boy, me.  And Lymond is another one who's horribly unlikeable
> in a lot of ways, and also endearingly in need of true affection.  It took
> me a couple of tries reading the first few pages of the first book; in
> addition to all the cultural references and untranslated foreign phrases

I completely agree with you. This series really involved my feelings when I
read it. Yes, PiF was heart-wrenching, but so I would say was also Checkmate
(and possibly every book in the series in their different ways).

A friend of mine whom I introduced to (read: addicted to) Lymond commented
that she really didn't trust the author in the end of the book and was as a
result deeply relieved by the ending. I described to her the whole process
of reading this series as very kathartic (however you spell that).

Beginning the first book in the series was very hard for me since English
isn't even my native language and Dunnett really doesn't make it easy for
her reader. And then there are all the French bits etc. (luckily I've read
some French in school...). It also required me to *think*, much more than
with many other books/series.

> And on this note, anyone know where I can find real rules for Tarocchi?  I
> did a little research online, but found no actual rules that I could
> correlate to the game in _A Game of Kings_, and _The Dorothy Dunnett
> Companion_ is deeply out of print.

I don't know Tarocchi rules, but I heard a rumor in a Dunnett group that
they might reprint an updated version of the Companion now that the last
book in the Niccolo series (which I haven't read - yet... =)) has been
published. Let's hope they do that, since the books are so full of
information and literary allusions and whatnot that you just cannot grasp
all of them even in several reads of the series.

There is a group on egroups.com called "Game of Kings" which is doing a
group read of the entire series (at the moment we are near the end of
Queens' Play) which I have found very helpful, especially on this, my first
read of the series.

Best,
Tarja