Narnia comments

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 16:48:44 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/18/2000 1:16:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Alex wrote:

> I think I'm an exception to most of you in this as my least favorite was The
>  Horse and his Boy and while I hated the beginning of The last Battle
because
>  I felt so sorry for poor Puzzle, I found the ending really inspiring. It
>  made me think fo those very vivid dreams you have which are filled with
>  wonder but which you can never convey to people.

I think the Narnias that I reread the least are the first two -- there seem
to be so many more false steps in them. I agree with Tolkien that Father
Christmas doesn't belong, and I don't think Lucy's gift of healing is at all
well thought out, that sort of thing. Plus their getting to grow up and then
Caspian has some creaky, slow bits as well, and a few touches that madden me,
like Queen Prunaprismia, which is a name out of the stupidest fairy-tale
traditions, and Nikabrik being a nonsmoker, which doesn't make a bit of
sense. I like _The Last Battle_, though, and I think _Dawn Treader_ is almost
my favorite, even though it hasn't got any plot (I never was much on plots
anyway, but I do remember being surprised when I got to the end of the book
and realized that everything they had done was just stuff that happened, not
part of any big plan).

Helen Schinske
HSchinske at aol.com