Historical novels

Mon Sep 18 16:04:33 EDT 2000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:01:05 +0300, Tarja Rainio wrote:

>Someone (I don't remember who) complained of having good historical fiction
>to read. I just have recommend Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond series which I just
>finished. It was really an emotional roller-coaster.

Oh yes.  Heartwrenching, even--and annoying and frustrating and exhilarating
too.  _Pawn in Frankincense_ had me in tears--the mother of a blond
two-year-old boy, me.  And Lymond is another one who's horribly unlikeable
in a lot of ways, and also endearingly in need of true affection.  It took
me a couple of tries reading the first few pages of the first book; in
addition to all the cultural references and untranslated foreign phrases,
each of the characters is referred to by at least two different names (the
main character is either Lymond (title) or Crawford (surname) or Francis
(given name) as well as a host of other nicknames).  It's complex but very
interesting.

And on this note, anyone know where I can find real rules for Tarocchi?  I
did a little research online, but found no actual rules that I could
correlate to the game in _A Game of Kings_, and _The Dorothy Dunnett
Companion_ is deeply out of print.

Melissa Proffitt