Historical novels

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Sat Sep 16 18:01:05 EDT 2000

Someone (I don't remember who) complained of having good historical fiction
to read. I just have recommend Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond series which I just
finished. It was really an emotional roller-coaster.

The main characters come from 16th c. Scotland and a historian friend of
mine commented that the military etc. actions were probably the most
accurate she had read in fiction. This series is really great in involving
the reader and her/his feelings in what happens to the main character and
the ones near him.

This also ties in to the elitist discussion, since Dunnett really doesn't
make it easy for her readers, but includes quotes and poetry in several
languages. This is a very "literate" sequence of books, and I myself felt
very much overwhelmed by it, but really caught up with the story and the
characters.

Best,
Tarja