Waking the moon (was Elitism was Tam lin)

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Sat Sep 16 18:01:05 EDT 2000

on 14.9.2000 22:17, Dorian E. Gray at israfel at eircom.net wrote:

> Yes; I bought it because I liked the title (though not the bizarre cover).
> And despite the fact that every time I read it I want to shout "Not ALL
> pagans are like that, dammit!", I still like it.  I do find, though, that
> it's one of those books (like Robin Hobb's "Assassin" trilogy or just about
> anything by Tim Powers) that I have to be in the right mood to read.  I can
> read, frex, DWJ, any time, in any mood, but some books I really have to
> "feel like" reading.  Does anyone else get this?

Yes, I have this reaction with C. J. Cherryh. I tried reading her _Heavy
Time_ a few years back and it was just awful, no interest at all... Then I
started it again last year and I read it and its sequel in a really short
time and continued then with her _Foreigner_ series. Still, I really dislike
her Russian fantasy books (Rusalka etc.) which are very depressing and IMHO
have no likeable characters at all.

I liked Moon's _Waking the Moon_ and Hobb's "Assassin" trilogy in general,
but really disliked the thir book in the series since it was a kind of
two-steps-forward-one-step-backward -kind of book. I haven't yet read her
Farseer -books which some friends have recommended.

Best,
Tarja