Re Mitt

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 16:33:01 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/14/00 10:08:52 AM, Melissa at Proffitt.com writes:

>Anyone else hate Mitt?
>And why?

Well, no, actually. But the older he got in Drowned Ammet, the more
wrongheaded. Once he came face to face with Al, and got shocked out of the
worst of it (pretty shocking mirror image, that, you have to admit) he
started opening up to other viewpoints. He is still learning in Crown, but
has clearly settled into some other form of coping mechanism in his outward
behavior.

But, then, particularly in Ammet, what kind of example did he have? This is
one seriously disadvanaged kid, by our standards. It's very easy to look at
his reasoning from our educated backgrounds and turn up our collective noses.
But in his place, how many of us would have done even as well?

Mitt and Moril are both very good examples of characters who manage to drift
onto the wrong roads and only discover the error after they've gone too far.
In Mitt's case he had not reached the dead end and was able to recover --
although he was left having to find his way back without much of a road map.
The way that he had grown up led him to squander all too much of the limited
time given to people to learn what to BE, on Milda's impossible dream of what
to "DO".

Moril, on the other hand is in both a better and a worse position of having
done something vast and irretreivable, but seeing that the problem was not so
much in having DONE it as in his motivations for having done it. In either
case, there is no way to go back in time and do it differently.

JOdel- who lives carless in Los Angeles, and is trapped waiting for that
bright moment that the MTA drops the other shoe and decides wheather or not
it is going out on strike...