Mitt

Mary Ann Dimand amaebi at iwon.com
Sat Sep 16 11:44:12 EDT 2000

I reread Drowned Ammet a couple of months ago, and was struck anew at how
beautifully DWJ had constructed a very tough book.

I can understand anyone not liking Mitt-- he's not particularly likeable
through most of the book. But I agree that it's very clear indeed how he got
that way, and it pierces my heart.

He an Milda are a terrible mismatch under the circumstances they live under.
Milda is naturally careless and impractical, and she handles adversity
through fantasy. Mitt is compelled to be very practical at an extremely
young age, Milda's impracticality creates increased burden periodically and
unexpectedly, and Mitt completely misunderstands Milda's fantasies.

He thinks that her conversations with him about freedom-fighting are
Planning. And of course, she herself gets carried away to the point of
facilitating Mitt's assassination attempt, because she fools herself as
well.

Mitt is hungry a lot, has too many responsibilities, and is in the confusing
position of depending economically on people who are not trustworthy
politically because they are just too poor to take risks. He's a very loyal
person with conflicting loyalties, he's young, and he's confused.

Being Tough Guy is what he comes up with as a means of handling his load.

I am so very sorry for him.

Mary Ann

iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?