Mitt (A bit muddled)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Sep 16 09:18:19 EDT 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:07:42 -0400 (EDT), Kyra Jucovy wrote:
>
> >Oh, yes, Milda seems like a real idiot!  I just feel that I would like
> >Mitt better if he were completely foolish about her, instead of
> >recognizing her flaws and caring less for her as a result - in combination
> >with everything else, it just makes him seem so inhuman.
>
> Like Cat Chant thinking Gwendolen is so wonderful, and that moment of
> realization he has that she's not...it's sad and bittersweet and you feel so
> sorry for him even if you spent the whole book wishing for that revelation.
> Cat is completely foolish about Gwendolen, putting all her nastiness down to
> her being a talented witch and so she's forgiven much.

Ooh!  Ooh!  Yes, this is exactly what I meant - it makes Cat so much more
sympathetic, even if he is being a dolt :).

> I think I feel about young Mitt the way I feel about Mark Vorkosigan--I
> really dislike him, but I feel bad about doing so because I realize why he's
> the way he is.  I think Mitt has a longer journey toward being human than we
> realize, because all of his childhood traumas are so subtle, and because
> (seeing things from his POV as we do) he himself doesn't know how damaged he
> is.  Poor kid.

I... um... have to get around to reading the Bujold books still <thinks
wistfully about when she will be able to give up days of her life, as
seems to be a necessity when reading Bujold books>, but this is very much
the way I feel about Mitt - I certainly understand where he's coming from
so much, and especially as an upper-middle class person who's never
suffered from a country with a relatively benign government, it makes me
feel _very_ guilty for blaming him for his responses, which seem so
justified.

> Melissa Proffitt

							---Kyra